Object Dar't

October 18, 2011

SERIES: 10 Reasons Why an iPhone is an Invaluable Business Tool #9

9. Social Media on the Go


 It frustrates me how many artists are NOT computer savvy. Social Media is in my opinion the single most important business tool EVER. Yes i said EVER. It has in fact built my current career. A little over a year ago, I was just a SAHM (Stay-At-Home Mom) who was losing her mind in sea of domesticity. Facebook gave me the mental stimulation I needed and social connection I wasn't getting thanks to small children and nap times. I started doodling/painting and one day had the absolute balls to post it on my Facebook page. It snowballed from there. If you read all my Facebook posts for the past year and a half, you'd see the evolution which is nothing short of miraculous. What has taken other artists decades to do, it has taken me in less than 2 years! I don't credit this to myself because while I do believe my artwork is good - so isn't the work of a gazillion other artists!! The only difference between them and me is that I already had a working relationship with Facebook and it catapulted what I was doing across the masses. And in all honesty, I had no idea what I was doing at the time. It's only in hindsight that I can see what literally unfolded.

But once you start using social media, you can't stop. I'm not referring to the addictive qualities of Facebook and Twitter - I'm talking about the marketing aspect of the social applications. You must constantly post to keep yourself high profile. Which is where the iPhone app comes in! As previously stated, I don't have time to sit down at a PC and devote an hour or two to posting and marketing myself. The iPhone notifies me when something has been said and no matter where I am or what I am doing, I am able to respond. I take photos of events that I am at and post those photos with the happenings. I photograph my paintings in process and post those. I carry on conversations with my friends who are also potential customers. I mean the list is endless. And I can do it all while grocery shopping, taking the kids to the Doctor or while working an event. INVALUABLE! But don't take my word for it - there are a ton of sites out there that outline the business benefits of Social Media. PR Agency wrote a great outline. So did Site Pro News. Go read and find out more reasons why you can't afford NOT to Facebook or Tweet.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I must say that I've been slacking a little on that department. I mean, I love blogging but FB and twitting not so much. So I just connected everything so when I blog it publishes on my FB as well and whatever is published on my FB gets to be automatically twitted. But I've been noticing I need to get more involved on FB. It feels very impersonal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha: people want human contact and connection. I too have cross promotion tools I use but they go largely unviewed unless the post is somehow inflammatory. What your audience is seeking is to get to know YOU. The "all business" approach just doesn't engage anyone so just throw out thoughts and funny musings - literally whatever is on your mind! I think it can best be summed up as "if you put nothing out, you get nothing back"

    ReplyDelete