Object Dar't

August 10, 2010

Remembering s'Hertogenbosch

I've been in a phase lately of "houses". I find this phase a happy one and honestly I'm relieved because pieces of previous work were intense. I don't know how others work at art per say but for me it's like my creative well is a Cooper Mini stuffed with 5 gazillion clowns. I just open the door and whatever clown is next, well, he/she steps out! And some of them have been very scary looking.

Up until about a month ago, I was experiencing truly terrible angst over what I felt was an increase in violent natural disasters. Then the mandala's came out. Giant, round beasts on black handmade paper depicting ruination. Then suddenly I was in what I can best describe as a "Mayan" phase. Primitive, basic and DEFINITELY brooding! Several of the pieces I didn't even photograph because honestly, I just felt awful looking at them. After these pieces were completed, I felt drained and empty. The best way I can describe that phase is to tell you that I felt like Rosemary giving birth in Rosemary's Baby.
Remembering s'Hertogenbosch by Denyse Dar

So imagine my relief when I started painting happier things! Lately, my obsession with architecture and my travel background has amalgamated into a series of houses - some of the homes. The experience of giving birth to them has been pleasant and left me feeling hopeful that I have more to give. Yesterday, I finished "Remembering s'Hertogenbosch" which was the town where I lived in the Netherlands. It is my impression of the tall dutch buildings along the cobblestone streets where I spent my days shopping and walking. I put in Piet's, which was the local grocer on the corner of our street, but in reality his store looked nothing like this. I would like to paint the town common and perhaps even the real Piet's with the small petting zoo but I have a strange feeling that a clown from Paris wants to be the next one out of the mini. ;) 



7 comments:

  1. That's great that you have a creative outlet for your imagination. Sometimes I get these weird anxieties that just need to work their way out :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unplanned Cooking: that's EXACTLY what I experience! Thank gawd they've subsided some..it was getting to be overkill ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the painting, Denyse! The colors and the style just make me want to keep looking at it. Makes me feel happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! Love the colors! Happy colors!
    Thanks for linking up today!
    http://frugalfreegal.blogspot.com
    Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work. You sound so inspired. I really should start sketching again. I love to do it, but there is always something getting in the way of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri! AGH you're killin me! DO IT..now..GO..lol

    ReplyDelete