Object Dar't

February 1, 2011

The distant beat of drums - artistically speaking...

Well it's winter and we're getting hit hard. There's not much to do except escape in my mind and paint it on paper. With chin tucked to my chest, my new glasses to help me see the small bits (*sigh*, yes I'm officially old) and my collection of 750 mp3's - I am transported elsewhere.

I've stated previously that I'm in a transition phase - and it's starting to really come through in my paintings lately. I took a jump into "movement" which previously was absent in my work. I also seem to have come away from the subject of architecture as the sole focus of my work, but it is still making appearances.

My first venture into the concept of "movement". The tree still bears my scroll work but is clearly in motion as well as the sky and laundry on the line. I felt really good after finishing this piece because previous works have been static! Believe it or not, the catalyst for the movement in this painting was my latin music collection which I'm now able to listen to thanks to the new iPhone. It literally lightened me up and the swing of the music quickly came into my work. LOVE IT!

My second piece in motion. I am obsessed with scene in my back yard which is this painting! I am constantly watching the night sky through the pines and marveling at how bright the stars are out here where there is no light pollution. Living in the boonies has it's nature based benefits for sure. The undulating landscape, moonlight and trees bending in the wind adequately depict the constant movement of the scene around me. This is to date the piece I am most proud of...

My third piece seems to have dragged back in the architectural theme of previous paintings. However the sky is in motion and the twin hills of Rutland give the painting the true feeling of undulation you experience when you drive through the center of town :) My love for the little houses along Main Street and the cemetery at the base of the hills that beckons me regularly are all present. There are many days when I drive through town and wish I had a soapbox go-cart to ride this course - all the time wondering just how far up the second hill I'd get ;)
I hope you enjoy my latest as much as I am enjoying allowing it to come through me. I'm excited to see what the future holds for my work!!

mountains paintings

2 comments:

  1. wow! beautiful! i love the pine trees at night... and the wind in the first painting... those clothes on the line remind me so much of being home...

    the hills! what a cool thing! i used to roller skate and always looked for hills like these to skate on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! Your art is absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad to have you in our circle. :D

    ReplyDelete