Object Dar't

September 10, 2011

September 2nd "Name that Work" Contest Results!

©Denyse Dar, Serenity in Blue, 2011. 11x14 watercolor on 140lb Arches

WE HAVE A WINNER for the latest "NAME THAT WORK" contest. Thank you to everyone who participated!!! Your enthusiasm to participate in the creative process, makes what I do truly rewarding. I really get a kick out of the fact that my work makes others think and feel something good. There is no better purpose in life than "adding to others" so thank you all for adding back to me. I mean that sincerely. 


This particular painting sprang from my longing during a very busy summer to have a moment of calm. It is also representative of a goal I have; I intend to one day have a home on Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard, where I can wake up early some dewy summer morning and steal a forbidden cup of coffee on the porch looking out at the ocean while my babies slumber. 

I used what is known as a analogous color palette restricting my choices to greens and blues. This task was a challenge for me because my natural instinct is to run like a maniac with a full rainbow of colors. In addition, I used a very tense composition (laid out in an X formation) which was in direct conflict with the subject which was intended to be peaceful. To compound my frustration, I was judicious in using my "doodle" elements (the curly cues etc) and instead used my paint to create form on the beach areas. That was really hard for me because my approach to my paintings is always what I call "a coloring book approach." I sketch, outline and then use the outline to lock in my forms. This painting felt very much like walking a tightrope and you can't imagine my relief when it was completed!


I just want to say that the submissions on this painting were incredible. I would have been pleased with every single one! I was sad that only one could be chosen. Here are the submissions I received through the fan page:

Janet Sarro-Gonzalez Drift Away
Lisa Mendez Boutotte Afternoon Shower
Robert Wohlrab Living on the Edge
Michael Boulay Peaceful Retreat..
Jennifer Baum "Solace"
Lori Guenoun Blue Highlands
Allison Asaro Serenity in Blue
JoAnne Pryce Bedard The Changing Tide

And the winner (drawn randomly) is Allison Asaro with "Serenity in Blue" which turns out to be a perfect fit for the painting! Congratulations Allison, you have won a print of any one of my paintings. You can view the entire catalog of my work here (http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/objectdar.html) to make your selection. Please contact me with your choice and I'll deliver it hand signed with my thanks!


whimsical paintings

1 comment:

  1. OK, Denyse, I followed in both spots. Would love it if you did that on mine too. I just love the colorfulness of your painting. I haven't painted in years. You are inspiring me to get back into it.
    Tho' I'm in Ukraine, I"m an American from the midwest.
    Coleen

    ReplyDelete